• • •
Dear Story-tellers & Funconfers,
It’s with a very heavy heart and a nose full of volcano ash that we announce that we’ve decided to postpone Funconf.
We were optimistic at first, but the Irish airspace closures keep getting pushed back. While we could remain optimistic and just forge ahead, we’re facing the following risks:
* There’s huge uncertainty about flights into Ireland for our Story-tellers and Funconfers alike. Cancellations are happening daily and there doesn’t seem to be much sign of a let up.
* With a catastrophe like this, there’s little doubt that the airports will be mayhem. There’s every chance that the flights we’ve booked for our Story-tellers will be delayed, changed or cancelled.
* Even if people are able to get in to Ireland, there’s talk of the volcano erupting again, leaving folks stranded here. As appealing as that sounds, it’s not a fair risk to take.
* It’s not really a fun time for anyone to be travelling at all.
In light of this, we’re taking the following actions:
* We’re going to postpone the conference.
* Realistically it will be sometime towards the end of summer, which will allow time to schedule the Story-tellers, venues and suppliers again, and will be, hopefully, far enough away so as not to clash with any existing plans our Funconfers might have.
* All tickets remain valid
* If you want a refund, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll sort it out.
The conference had sold out late last week, which was awesome, so we’re hoping that everyone who had arranged to come will be able to change their travel plans. A lot of airlines are being very flexible with cancellations.
One last thing, a small consolation: Ireland is an awesome place to visit, some of the Story-tellers and Funconfers have decided to try and make it here regardless.
Since we have no idea who’ll be able to make it or not, we’re going to organise some a drinkup this Saturday 24th April in Dublin city. Eyjafjallajokull be damned!